Cayman Islands Excursion

Posted on August 18, 2013


Today’s post is about a trip, a tagging along daughter and some unexpected memories. The Cayman Islands, of course, is where thousands of funds are registered and where many a company listed, or about to be listed, on a stock exchange resides. All that doesn’t mask the fact that it is a very nice Caribbean island.

The two of us had been sampling restaurants, going to see sea turtles and the car museum (this is a must see for batman fans and car enthusiasts of all ages).

Cayman 1

Original Batmobile

One day we decided to venture to Stingray City, a place in the ocean reachable by boat where you can stand up and touch the stingrays, bask in sunshine while snorkeling around a near-by reef. That was the theory. The first indication that things might be slightly different was captain Mike telling us in the outfitting shop that the sea might be a bit bumpy. After we were shuttled to the bathtub sized boat, captain Mike reassures us that he was licensed by the Coast Guard to pilot up to 100 ton ships. Ours was 1/100 of a ton. I didn’t ask him which Coast Guard…

There were 11 of us including the captain. Couples from New York City, Buffalo, Texas, a Marine. I point out to the captain as we get going that there is darkness off to the right. “Could pass, might go in different directions”. Instead the darkness advanced and the seas became ever choppier. By the time we get to Stingray City the seas were so choppy we couldn’t drop anchor. Winds picked up more. We never saw a stingray. Instead we see people that are in the water fleeing to their boats. We turned around and started back to shore. Not enough life vests on board so captain Mike doesn’t pass them out. I didn’t push the issue wanting him to get going. Now, however, we are doused with salt water every fifteen seconds as the storm is catching up with us.  Weirdly, the water is warm, but the wind chill generated by the boat means we are freezing. As we get a little more than half way to the shore, the storm fully catches up with us and captain Mike becomes silent. He can’t find the inlet for the harbor. We turn into the wind to go along the shore to find it. Then a bad sign. He starts getting nervous and starts cursing. After all these years, a real life sailor cursing like one. Meanwhile, we are continuing to get drenched and are starting to take on water.

Finally an inlet. We turn toward it and once we get there the seas are not rough.  No harbor in sight though. Now we are pelted only by the rain and hoping to escape electrocution from what has become a lightning storm. The marine opines on how close lightning would have to come to our small metal boat to fry us. We asked the captain to pull in to a small dock for one of the houses there and to call his people to pick us up by car. He agrees after protesting that the home was private property.   And so we found ourselves on a three-hour tour with Colonel Guano. None of us wanted to wait it out on the boat drifting in the inlet with only a tiny roof for cover. My daughter and I, fully soaked, get into the van after it arrives and get off at our hotel on Seven Mile Beach where we hopped into the hot tub.  We stayed in that tub for a long time.

One more item off the bucket list.

Cayman 3
1964 Ferrari Lusso 250 GT
Tagged: ,
Posted in: Uncategorized